Everyone knows that moving is stressful. This is particularly true if you do not plan ahead and have to try to move an entire household without knowing exactly what to do and when. With that in mind, here are nine tips to help make your move go more smoothly.
1. Instead of moving on Saturday or Sunday, move during the week. This way, banks, government offices, and utilities are open in case you need one of them for any reason. In addition, moving trucks and professional movers offer cheaper rates during the week than they do on the weekend.
2. Do not cut off the power and water at your old residence until a couple of days after your move in case you forget anything or you have to go back and clean.
3. Approximately one month before your move, start gathering up boxes. You shouldn’t have to buy them if you visit your grocery store or liquor store where they usually have many to give away for free. You should also gather packing tape, bubble wrap, newspaper, and packing peanuts at this time so it is ready when you need it.
4. Designate one room in your house as a “packing room”. This is where you will store the boxes you have packed as you fill them. Pack one box each day to make the process less daunting.
5. Label every box clearly. Include an inventory list inside each box so you don’t have to rummage through it to find an item if you need it before you unpack. Also include the name of the room where the box needs to be in your new home.
6. Professional movers often have carpet cleaners for rent, and it makes sense for you to rent both the carpet cleaner and the truck at the same time so you don’t have to make separate trips.
7. If you have pets, have a neighbor or friend watch them on moving day so they don’t get in your way or run away in the confusion.
8. If you are driving the moving truck, be sure to allow extra room behind the car in front of you for braking. Bigger trucks take longer to stop, so be aware of this when driving.
9. Remember that moving trucks are taller than the average car and need more clearance room. Inspect the route you are going to take prior to moving day to ensure there are no low-lying overhangs that could pose a problem.